The yellows were out in force. With all the rain and the relatively cool weather we have been having, there are myriad varieties of yellow blooming out there. I was very glad I had taken my Claritin, because the yellow ones seem to make me much sicker than any other type of wildflower.
So I took some pictures. Black-eyed Susan, phlox, and some things I don't know the names of.
Oh, and why aren't you guys playing Trivia with us? Forgot the link? Here is it...Trivia here!
Now, on to the pictures. I don't know the name of the flowers in the bottom two pictures - they *are* flowers, even though they are not brightly colored...but I have never seen anything like them before. If any of you know what they are, speak up, please! I think they would dry nicely, but I don't know. I just thought they were pretty. I didn't get any good pictures of the incredible crop of bluebonnets we had this year, because Easter weekend, when we were also in Smithville visiting friends, it was, well, sleeting, and the pictures just didn't come out well. Unfortunate, too, because I have never seen so many gorgeous flowers as were out in central Texas in early April. The next time we were there, they were almost all gone. Oh well, there's always next year!




6 comments:
great pictures Karen !!
Thanks! I thought you might like them, what with your love of wildflowers and all...I've been very pleased with my camera, and it has held up very well!
Looked up the unknown plant in my "Texas Wildflowers" and I think it's what is commonly known as "horse mint" (or spotted beebalm/wild mergamot). Latin name is Monarda punctata. Try the site below. They have pix posted.
http://pollinator.com/plant_pol/
monarda_punctata.htm
The pictures are nice - and very similar to the flower, although I'm not sure they are a match. The ones I took a picture of (and the ones growing all around here) are green, then brown, with no other color in the cycle. Maybe just a variant? I'll have to do more checking (or not...) to see if I can figure it out. They are new to the area, however, blown in, I'm sure, on one of the storms.
Thanks for the help!
Loved you flower pictures! Max and I always try to get good ones of nature, particularly flowers. (Would have written sooner, but Jason had to get me up to speed again.)
Welcome back, Francie! And I'm glad you liked the pictures. I really should take pictures more often - with digital cameras, there really isn't any excuse not to - but I often carry the camera, and almost just as often forget to use it.
Post a Comment