Monday, October 09, 2006

Hello, I'm still here!!!

Hi all!

Nothing much to report from OKC/Edmond area. Just hanging in there with the kiddos and hubby, business, ect. Megan is LOVING kindgergarten. She is also taking ballet and is a Daisy girl scout , too, (along with Amanda, I hear). Keeping us busy. Kindgergarten was at first an adjustment for her - she actually has to do work, try hard and concentrate. We had been pretty concerned about her being a "young one" since her birthday is literally ON the deadline for entering kindergarten, but she seems to have adjusted well. I'm getting good reports on her behavior at least and most all of her papers come home with smiley faces and "GOOD" written on them. She resisted re-learning to write her name, though. She apparently saw no good reason to learn the upper case and lower case letters to write her name properly. Why on earth do they ever teach preschoolers to write their names in all uppercase when in Kindergarten they are just going to have to re-learn it? Dumb. Anyway - when she pouted about it and whined, I just gave her the option of doing it her way but then she would have to leave kindergarten (big girl school) and go back to pre-school. Thank goodness she chose kindergarten, I don't have anywhere else I could take her! Phew - one more bluff called.

Grant is loving his Mom's Day Out. He loves playing with the other kids, although he is a sort of bully, I think. I see him pushing kids all the time - in fact Megan, too. One of these days Megan is going to GET him good and he'll get what he deserves and learn a good lesson, too. So much for me being worried that Megan would bully him! : ) He is starting to talk a little - a handful of words, "Nooooooo", "down", "Cracker", of course mama and dada. I think we've heard "dog" or some version of that in there, too and he loves to "sing" with Megan's CDs in the car.

We did just learn that Grant is lactose intolerant. He's always been gassy and had runny poops, but it just had gotten worse and worse. Don't know what make me finally think to try a dairy-free diet, but dang if it hasn't helped tremendously. He is a different child now - much less "screamy" at me all the time and he doesn't poop all the time now!! Woohoo - but now we have to figure out what to do about ice cream. I love the stuff and I can't imagine him growing up without being able to eat it once in awhile! Any suggestions from anyone who has this problem?

Well, just wanted to say hi and let you know what is going on with us. I will try to get some pictures posted of the kiddos soon.

Love to all!

Julie : )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooo, Grant takes after Uncle Jason? Wish I had a suggestion but it's not a problem I encountered.

Glad for the update. Maybe I'll have something worthwhile in a week--we're heading for CO on Friday.

Ken said...

I think they have come up with some stuff that lets you eat and drink with it. Don't know if kids can take it, etc. It is over the counter I think, ask you pharamasy about it. If the result of takeing a pill or spoonfull of liquid was a bowl Of Ice Cream , I would think that he would choose the pill.

Love you all,

GUBuck

Barbara said...

Good to hear from you.

Like Uncle Buck said, there is stuff you can take for lactose intolerance (Lactaid, I think). Also, there are more and more lactose-free products on the market. There are a few different soy ice creams. You can probably find them in the organic section of your frozen foods.

Kim said...

hey Julie!!! Nice to hear from you. Courtney is lactose intolerant also, but not to the extent that it sounds like Grant is. It's easy enough to control with over the counter stuff. Glad to hear the kids are doin well with school and stuff. They grow so fast huh? Good luck with him and let me hear from you soon!!!