Sunday, September 18, 2005

Remodeling is hell

I already knew that but it reached new heights yesterday. After Harv removed the toilet and vanity/sink from the guest bath he began moving the water pipes and sink drain line into the wall. That necessitated crawling from one end of the "basement" to the other and across but that's okay, I didn't have to go down there. He turned off the water so he could cut the lines, repositioned and then capped 'em. That was fine.

Yesterday he began the process of "welding" elbows on the PVC and using compression fittings to come out through the wall. He got the toilet one done, turned the water on to check for leaks and all was well. He went out to the workshop to start assembling the necessary for the new sink.

I was calmly reading in the den when I heard a "thunk". I checked to see if the ice dispenser had spit ice on the kitchen floor. Nope. Then I heard a "water sound". The elbow plus stub plus compression fitting had blown off and hit the opposite wall--the "thunk". By the time we got the water shut off the bathroom was flooded, of course. We cleaned it up and he went back to Home-away-from-home Depot and bought new and different pieces--all compression fittings except the elbow and stub which were welded BEFORE he put them in place. No leaks. But we still spent most of the day with the water shut off. Hard to accomplish anything!

He closed up the wall and started mudding his patches. Well, he would have but he didn't have enough drywall tape. Back to Home-away-from-home Depot for tape and, to be on the safe side, yet another of the hundreds of buckets of drywall mud we've bought over the past 31 years.

Currently he's putting on his final, knock-down texturing coat. Maybe it'll dry quickly enough to prime tonight and then paint tomorrow. We bought the paint and we have the primer---I think.

1 comment:

Ken said...

You'all must love it, you do it wheverever you are. When you are without house you go do you sisters, hee hee, you and Harv are a pair, as soon as I figure out what I will let you know.

Love you both, ubuck